[vorbis] Patent troubles...

Monty xiphmont at xiph.org
Fri Oct 6 11:01:14 PDT 2000

> Reading all this posts about patent issues, I thought of something:
> if, by some wild chance FhG (or some other audio company) manages
> to prove in court that vorbis is breaking their patent rights, you could
> do something like LAME developers did: release only source code and
> let people do the compiling so that only users that are living in countries
> where patents on algorithms are valid should pay the licenses. So that
> future of vorbis cannot be threatened in any way...

a) It's not going to happen.  We do not infringe on any patents.

b) In the event of an infringement ruling against us (again, isn't going to
happen), source only release doesn't keep Vorbis alive. We'd be no better off
than LAME, which no company on earth would try to use in operations without
securing patent licensing.

The whole bloody point of what we're doing is to escape the patents.  Well,
OK, 90% of the point.

Monty