[vorbis] Re: FhG $15k minimum

Jack Moffitt jack at icecast.org
Tue Oct 3 09:12:03 PDT 2000

> Ogg Vorbis is for the most part, not even on the radar screen
> at this point..  To compete in the marketplace with a company

Ogg Vorbis is on the radar screen of these companies.  Microsoft,
RealNetworks, Fraunhofer, Dolby, and others all know about it.  We've
even gotten emails from the MPEG Audio committee chair.

> I wish you luck though!   ..unfortunately, I am more interested
> in a voice codec right now.. and Ogg is unlikely as good as
> ACELP or other vocal tract modeling codecs. Right?

If anyone finds me a patent free voice codec, I will implement an ogg
version.  I already thought about doing this with GSM but I think there
is one patent covering that :(

jack.