[vorbis] Re: FhG $15k minimum

Jack Moffitt jack at icecast.org
Mon Oct 2 20:17:52 PDT 2000

> About the $15k streaming minimum:
>
> I guess it may have changed in the past few months, but at one point
> there was some kind of statement that said "all licenses have a $15k
> yearly minimum"

They have not set broadcasting prices yet, but since the 15k minimum
exists on all their other licenses, I expect it to carry over to
broadcasting.

> By the way, I wrote to them one time and basically (but politely :) said
> "You guys MUST realize that these fees are way too high for any
> small business"  and their answer was to offer me a special deal of
> 2% with a $5k yearly minimum.  Gee, that's much better (not).

Yeah, it sucks.  I'm actually surprised they offered you that deal, and
I'm even more surprised they wrote you back at all.

> Also realize that in order to pay the 1% instead of the $15k, you'd have
> to be making over $1.5 million a year in downloads.  I don't know if
> ANYONE is making that much.

I just gave a speech about vorbis at CasterCon, which went through some
math like this.  I'll post it soon.

jack.