[vorbis] 'Jukebox' quality?

Joe Soroka oggustus at zxmail.com
Sun Oct 29 14:58:30 PST 2000

In light of the recent study
- http://www.airwindows.com/encoders/index.html -
posted at slashdot, I've come to realize how little I know about this whole field.

So, I'm making an appeal to the audio experts here.  I want 'jukebox' quality,
meaning ~0 artifacts while maintaining a good compression ratio, but not
quite 'archival' (read high bitrate) as I don't mind hanging on to the original cds.
Is r3mix's recommended "lame -V1 -b128 -mj -h" good enough?  Is this guy
and his study saying that it's *no where near* good enough as it seems?  Is
this study for real, or is it bunk?

I realize that this seems like a question more suited to some mp3 mailing list,
but given that the experts here have no immediately obvious attachment to
any mp3 encoder or decoder, I'm hoping to get unbiased opinions.

And I know that ogg is not quite there yet, but I'm a little confused as to ...
Various stuff I've read on xiph.org seems to indicate that ogg/vorbis was
born out of a desire for a 'free-speech' lowbitrate streaming/compression
format, not for '~0-artifact digital jukeboxes'.  Is this one of the goals for 1.0?
When can I completely throw out mp3 and put my cds in a timecapsule?