[vorbis] Is GNU tested, I doubt it..

Chris Hanson cmh at bDistributed.com
Fri Oct 27 14:04:46 PDT 2000

At 1:58 AM -0700 10/27/00, Tom Bishop wrote:
>Although there seems to be a strong implication on other's part
>the GNU is God or something..

As with any contract, unless you have direct evidence to the
contrary, counsel that agrees with your evidence, and a solid defense
prepared for the inevitable lawsuit, you MUST assume that a software
license agreement is binding.

>But you are correct, I doubt if GNU or ANY contract would
>ever be found totally valid by any court.  Courts aren't like that,
>and they, as the laws, vary from locality to locality.

The emphasis, of course, is on YOUR doubt.  I believe the GPL will
hold up pretty well, particular considering the directions that
copyright law and other law pertaining to intellectual property
privileges are taking.

>I am sorry if this speculation is uncomfortable for everyone.. but
>it seems best to know what the world is really like as opposed
>to the way one thinks it is...

The way the world really works is that most people are honest and
well-intentioned and will assume, unless presented with very strong
evidence to the contrary, that a contract or license agreement is
valid on its face.

Are you trying to convince people they shouldn't behave this way?  If
so, why?  What do you gain from it?  Anyone who's applying an Open
Source or Free Software license to their code already understands
that these licenses have not yet been tested in court and that there
may be some risk involved in using them.  I don't think you're
exploring any new ground.

   -- Chris

--
Christopher M. Hanson <cmh at bDistributed.com>
President & CEO, bDistributed.com, Inc.