[vorbis] Is GNU tested, I doubt it..

Tom Bishop Tom at Truly.nu
Fri Oct 27 01:58:31 PDT 2000

----- Original Message -----
From: "Chris Hanson" <cmh at bDistributed.com>

> At 8:38 PM -0700 10/26/00, Tom Bishop wrote:
> >But you say "first company" so you seem to indicate that this has never
> >been tested in court..  Which lends credance to my speculation that,
> >in fact, GNU is virtually untested.. And possibly vacuous legally.
>
> That depends.  If you're living in the USA, has the state you're in
> adopted UCITA?  I'm not a lawyer, but I think the sweeping privileges
> that UCITA grants to copyright holders would also apply to licenses
> like the GPL, not just to shrinkwrap commercial licenses.
>
> >Please understand that I am only trying to understand..
>
> You do not appear to be trying to understand the legal situation
> surrounding the GPL.  You appear to be trying to convince others of
> your viewpoint.  (Which, if I'm reading you correctly, is that the
> GPL's validity should not simply be assumed until it is both tested
> and upheld in court.  There is an implication in your statements that
> you don't believe it will be found valid, though I can't tell if it's
> intentional and how you really feel, or just the way you phrased
> things.)
>
>    -- Chris

I wasn't attempting to imply anything much..

Although there seems to be a strong implication on other's part
the GNU is God or something..

But you are correct, I doubt if GNU or ANY contract would
ever be found totally valid by any court.  Courts aren't like that,
and they, as the laws, vary from locality to locality.

I am sorry if this speculation is uncomfortable for everyone.. but
it seems best to know what the world is really like as opposed
to the way one thinks it is...

I am not a lawyer, but was married to one for 5 years, and I got the
impression that courts are not as logical as programming.... ;-)