[vorbis] streaming: some idea's

Ralph Giles giles at snow.ashlu.bc.ca
Wed Oct 18 01:20:50 PDT 2000

On Thu, 19 Oct 2000, Kristoff Bonne wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> A couple of weeks ago, there was here a discussion about streaming. Here
> is two things that I would like to add to
> the discussion: meta-streaming and control-streaming. (Althou I do not
> think my ideas are that new)
>

> * First metastreaming:
> If you look at DVB (Digital Video Broadcasting), one of nice features
> (apart from it being a European standard ;-)) is the existing of a
> meta-stream.

There are plans for a separate metadata stream, mostly further back in the
archives. See for example (more Mindless Link Propagation :) this thread:

http://www.xiph.org/archives/vorbis/0357.html

Though that's focussed on the media database end. The stream description
part of the metadata is still poorly defined so your input is especially
welcome.

> On DVB, the meta-stream (among others)
> - Contain information on what audio-stream(s) is/are couples to what
> video-stream.

This is planned as part of the stream description metadata. Likewise, I've
proposed video overlays (like DVD subpictures) which also need to be
identified, coupled and layered.

> - And what 'CA' (Conditional Access) system is used for a certain stream.

I don't know what this means. Can you explain?

> - But, it also adds the notion of 'bouquets': groups of programs that are
> bundled together, and that can span multiple transponders on a satellite
> or on multiple satellites (at the same satellite-position or a different).
[...\
> I would propose to make it as open as possible.
> Possible information to put in it could be:
> - Alternative bitrates.
> "This content is also available at these bitrates, and these are the
> methods (read: URLs) to retrieve them."

I suppose this would fit within the dc:relation element in the proposed
RDF scheme. We'd need to work out some qualifiers, I guess. Another reason
I think Rob should replace his PurchaseInfo element. :)

> (Could be used by the player to 'upstep' or 'downstep' the stream based
> on the quality of the network connection).

Does RTSP have a facility like this?

The rest of the ideas you mention are more about the mechanics of
streaming, which I think of as orthogonal to vorbis. There's allegedly
work going on with this sort of thing on the icecast(.org) project.

Cheers,
 -ralph

giles at ashlu.bc.ca
No you're not thinking, you're just being logical.