[vorbis] Re: FhG $15k minimum

Jack Moffitt jack at icecast.org
Mon Oct 2 20:37:20 PDT 2000

> Clearly they are going to miss some.. but I believe
> they fully intend to sue known BIG violators.

They fully intend to go after everyone.  They shut down several open
source projects in the past and have persistently gone after Bladeenc,
even though Sweden offers Tord some protection from them.

> Possibly their patents will be downgraded in court.. but
> that will take years to decide at best..

And no one will ever eradicate them.  They will likely expire first.

> However, their prices make other alternatives MUCH
> more attractive to many people.. and possibly will allow
> Ogg Vorbis (and other codecs) to claim some of the
> "glory" that MP3 would have claimed if MP3 had more
> reasonable license agreements.

We are already seeing this happen.

> FhG simply thinks they will make more money this way.

And they will.  MP3 for them is already dead.  Vorbis, WMA, and AAC are
already better and available, so the easiest way to guaruntee revenue is
get the gullible people to pay out their asses.

> The problem is, what incentive do the companies have to fund
> development if you are going to give it away free, equally to all.

Donating 10k to the project is much cheaper than 1% of revenue to
fraunhofer.  Don't forget that a 15k minimum on 1% means that you'd have
to make at least 1.5 mil to get the 'deal' they offer.  You make only
30k a year, fraunhofer actually gets 50%.

> Perhaps funding companies would have more "preferential"
> treatment WRT timeliness of new releases, access to developers.

Yep.  You can see this with iCast.  Although we are definately keeping
all the long term goals in mind.

> Like paying to be in the Beta program.... or something.

Would you users donate money if that was available?  Even if it was $1?
I mean, 100k people donating $1 each could go a long way.

> I think companies (that could afford it) might pay reasonable
> fees to such form such a consortium.. especially if you gave
> member companies a 3 month head start on new releases..
> (or something..)

Enough would probably do it, just out of goodwill, and to better the
chances of them not being beholden to Fraunhofer or microsoft.

> To be really successfull Vorbis needs all of the structure that
> any company does.. In fact it needs to be a company, possibly
> non-profit inc., but an incorporated entity for any semblence of
> survivability, but where to get the money????..

Xiphophorus is already incorporated.

> Form a non-profit corporation for the Development and
> Furtherance of  Ogg Vorbis Technologies.

Papers haven't been filed for non-profit, but that was the original
intent of Xiphophorus.

> Just my opin.. The above plan would at least seem to "Help"
> push Vorbis into more of the spotlight..

I'll definately be thinking about your ideas.

> Am I missing something?

No, you're on the ball.  You just don't realize how far down this path
we already are :)

jack.