[vorbis] Fraunhoffer claims patents on other formats

Rich Burroughs rich at indiepopradio.com
Sun Oct 1 22:14:15 PDT 2000

On Mon, 2 Oct 2000, Marshall Eubanks wrote:

> This does not sound like the way to secure the open source movement.

I disagree completely. It's been my understanding that, beyond the
improvements in technology, the main point of Vorbis is to be patent-free
and open source so we don't have to deal with the kind of licenses that
Fraunhofer is trying to push on people. What if iCast were to patent
Vorbis, and then some bean counter decided that they really should be
making money off this project that they are funding the development
of? What would stop us from ending up as much at their mercy as we now are
to Fraunhofer?

No thanks. I applaud the folks who started the project for making it open
and patent free, and I hope it stays that way.

Rich