[vorbis] Vorbis over RTP

Roland Parviainen rolle at cdt.luth.se
Tue Nov 21 04:11:51 PST 2000

Monty wrote:

> > For now it works good if: the users are few (multicast isn't that
> > widespread yet) and
> > we only need the headers once. If we wan't to send a stream with
> > different headers we don't won't thousands of TCP connections in the
> > same instant...
>
> The TCP is only for initial connection.
>
> Monty

This works fine if we send one continous stream, for example encoding a
radio show and broadcasting it live. The application I want is this (I
have written tools for this for mp3, now I want to switch to vorbis): I
start my server add give it a list of files, that might be encoded at
different speeds, with different encoders etc.

These files are sent one after one to all clients using multicast, to
one multicast address. When a new file is sent the clients might have to
reinitialize the decoder with a new codebook, and in this stage I don't
want them to connect to my server since it will happend in the same
instance for all clients. A large webserver with lots of bandwidth and
CPU *might* be able to handle it, but I want to do it from my dorm room
without upsetting the sysadmins :-). The RIAA might not like it, but
with multicast anyone can send music to thousands of people with only
100-200 kbit/s connection :-)

//Roland