[vorbis] Vorbis over RTP

Monty xiphmont at xiph.org
Mon Nov 20 13:23:19 PST 2000

> I send four different types of packets: data, info, comment and
> codebook.

Note that each Vorbis packet is already stamped with what type it is.

> I dont' care about the size of data packets since they are
> usually less than 500 bytes, but that's just because I'm lazy :).

< 500 bytes is a generally safe assumption for audio packets.  The
header packets will often be bigger. (Well, 500 isn't a safe bet for
very high bitrate audio, especially if we're talking about surround).

> The other packets are fragmented to about 1400 bytes (1400 + headers)
> if they are larger than that. The codebook is usually 3 or 4 fragments.

right.

> The payload header also contains a 8 bit id that changes when client
> have to reset the decoder with a new codebook, so there is no problem
> with sending e.g. a 128 kbit/s file followed by a 160 kbit/s file,
> except
> for a small delay.

OK, good.  Note that Ogg itself uses a 32 bit ID.  No reason not to
remap that (as you'd need a source server anyway) onto a 8 bit value,
just make sure to use the entropy space wisely :-)

Monty