[vorbis] bark_noise

Michael Smith msmith at labyrinth.net.au
Wed Nov 8 05:03:12 PST 2000

At 11:23 AM 11/8/00 +0000, you wrote:
>I would like to understand what is going on, I freely admit. Having no
>signal processing knowledge means that looking at the code gives me
>headaches 8-) I would, however, be more than happy to read any weighty
>tomes if you could point me to any relevant ones.
>
>Given that the arrival time of beta 3 has been discussed in the past, I shall
>refrain from asking. However, I would appreciate knowing how to fix this
>particular problem so that I can move ahead and play with the alpha a bit
>more ;-)

I think the particular problem you were encountering has been fixed in CVS
as of yesterday. Please try again.

Short description: the code was converting some value to dB at one point.
You can't do this (you get -INF) if the value is 0, so the code was using a
large negative number instead. Too large.

In the particular case it was being used in, anything negative got clipped
to 0 about 2 lines later, so it didn't matter. The code now uses -400
instead.

There may be other problems, but I think they've all been cleared up - let
us know (preferably with a backtrace of where things are dying) if anything
else breaks.

Michael