[vorbis] splitting ogg files

Aleksandar Dovnikovic aledov at mail.ru
Mon Nov 6 11:33:54 PST 2000

andrei <andrei at vest.ru> wrote:

> i have a question to vorbis developers:
> suppose, i've got live recording or
> album with tracks leading into each other
> and going to encode it with vorbis.
> the better way to get accurate copy of cd is
> to grab it as one track and split recieved file later.
>
> which file should i cut to get continous output:
> wav file, grabbed from cd, or
> ogg file, encoded from that wav?

You don't have to cut your vorbis files (or wav), just
encode each song and when you play them there should
be no gap between them - because vorbis doesn't add
silence to the begging/end of the encoded file (like mp3
does). Some problems might still occur (like small clicks)
because the encoder (even though it doesn't add anything)
doesn't know that it should match the end of one file with
the begging of the other. Beta2 had a bug - the last frame
was polluted so some clicks did occur (but not often) -
this was later fixed, so check out beta3 (coming out anyday
now) - I think that this matter should be solved now.

Greetings,
Aleksandar