[vorbis] vorbis hardware

Tim Hurman kano at kano.org.uk
Mon Nov 6 07:33:30 PST 2000

Hi,

I keep seeing various things about vorbis being implemented in hardware,
and throught people might like to know about this.

I was going through the spec for my MP3 player (Jazpiper -
http://www.jazpiper.com) and noticed a feature I didn't know
about. Apprently there are two hidden files in memory, the contain DSP
code to encode and decode the audio files. Currently it can only decode
MP3 files however there is the opertunity to decode Ogg Vorbis. These
player are fairly widespead, you can buy them in most electrical shops in
the uk, and if ported it would be the first widly available player for
Ogg Vorbis.

Breifly, the spec is at
http://sourceforge.net/docman/display_doc.php?docid=54&group_id=7757
however it does not give much hardware detail as it is only a protocol
spec. There is also a porting project in progress
(http://sourceforge.net/projects/jazpiper/), and this seems to show
the manufacturer is open to suggestions on open source.

I was wondering if it may be worth someone envolved in the Ogg Vorbis
project approaching the manufacturer and seeing if they would produce the
appropriate DSP code. Any ideas?

Tim.