[vorbis] Low sample rates / bit rates

Michael Smith msmith at labyrinth.net.au
Fri Nov 24 20:01:00 PST 2000

At 09:05 AM 11/24/00 +1000, you wrote:
>Michael wrote:
>>>OggEnc also supports (and has for ages - at least since beta2, and
possibly earlier) mono encoding. You should try that too.

>I wrote:
>>  I tried, but it didn't work. :-( And I have no idea why it didn't work
because it's presumably working for everyone else who tries it. Guess I'll
try downloading it again (from
http://www.vorbis.com/files/beta3/oggenc.exe) & use different WAVs as well,
because it could also be the program used to make them.

>My apologies, Michael. I've worked out what the problem is. The program I
was using to make the WAV files was writing the value 12h at byte 10h,
instead of the value 10h. I don't know what the actual WAV header specs
are, but Windows seems to accept 12h as being valid for that. A quick hack
fixes the header.

That's the length of the format chunk, I assume. OggEnc doesn't know what
to do with it, since it's not a 'normal' format chunk (which does have
length 16). If you can find any wav documentation which explains what it
does, let me know - I'll add support.

Michael