[vorbis] more vorbis press!

Jack Moffitt jack at icecast.org
Fri Nov 24 14:30:05 PST 2000

> I sent you e-mail about this when I first heard the news. What level
> of sponsorship is realistically required to keep this project going for, say,
> one year ? And how far is that likely to get us ? To a video codec ?

These are kinda two separate question, and monty will have to help me
answer the "where will it get us" one.

Right now what we are looking for is someone to pay us to continue working
on Vorbis fulltime.  There were about 3 and a half people working fulltime
on the project at iCast (not to mention our great intern, Robert).  That
requires salaries for a few people for however long.

The other possibility is to sponsor one individual (we should obviously
start with monty) for a length of time (months probably being the base
unit).

I should note that the sponsors we have at 1.0 are going to get a fair
amount of press and recognition, just as icast did during the beta 1 and
beta 2 releases.  The icast logo was on most of our marketing materials
(tshirts, cards, stickers, etc) and we told the story of icast when we
told the story of vorbis.

That being said, we'll be putting together a more formal "how to sponsor
vorbis" document soon, so that everyone knows what we need, and whats
available.

For a long time I have thought of accepting donations from end users or
whoever from the xiph.org website.  The idea being that we would raise X
amount of dollars and only accept the donations if the total donation
amount was reached (you'd get the money back if we never made it). Or
something similar.  Would be quite easy with PayPal.  Is this soemthing
you guys think is a good idea?

jack.