[vorbis] speech in vorbis

Tom Bishop Tom at Truly.nu
Wed Nov 15 09:00:05 PST 2000

I asked the same questions.. since my interest was previously
in speech codecs (Now on to other things ;-)

Although I didn't really do any low bitrate tests,
I gather that Vobis:
    - isn't intended to be a speech codec
    - isn't intended for very low bit rates
    - will never compete with vocal tract modeling codecs?

Note: this is no slight to Vorbis.. speech coding is an
        entirely different animal in many ways..

WRT speech codecs, GSM is reasonable, 723.1 based
ACELP.net and ACELP.wide (VoiceAge.com) are
better/interesting, but quite expensive for full licensing..
(though the encoder and decoder is installed on all PCs,
as part of the ACM, the encoder is protected with a key
that one must license)

This is what is used in NetMeeting, and is Microsoft's
favorite codec seemingly.

If phone integration is interesting, (and it usually becomes
interesting when one thinks about it.. ;-) I would suggest
AudioCodes.com, which has "NetCoder" which they document
as much betten than 723.1.  (But they virtually don't have a
model to sell NetCoder for strictly web use, or have it
packaged for very many uses at all really, except in
conjunction with their phone board.. go figure.. ;-)

NetCoder is supposedly proprietary, and not subject to any
of the IP issues other voice codecs have, allowing them to
sell it very reasonably (they say). AudioCodes seemed
to be positioning themselves as the "low price - no frills"
telephony vendor (against dominant Dialogic, now
an Intel company).

Good luck.

Regards,
Tom