[vorbis] One important thing

Aleksandar Dovnikovic aldov at EUnet.yu
Mon May 29 10:15:26 PDT 2000

Hi.
Since I'm new to this mailing list, I don't know whether this was discussed
in this mailing list, or if it is already fixed.

Anyway, the problem is that all audio encoders out there add a small amount
of silence to the start/end of the encoded file. This is usually a small
amount, around 0.03 seconds. Most of the time it goes unnoticed, BUT when
you have tracks that flow into one another (live albums are the best
example) you get a noticeable click. Even if the encoder adds only 0.001
seconds of silence, it is still quite easy to hear the gap. I hope this can
be fixed (or already is) as this would be a good advantage over other
compression formats.

I also wanted to ask how good Ogg Vorbis is in dealing with pre-echo since
this troubles almost all encoders, except AAC (Liquid Audio) which does an
excellent job in eliminating pre-echo. I know that it is early to ask this
question, but a general answer would be appreciated.