[vorbis] Re: [vorbis-dev] Semi-off-topic ramblings

David Terrell dbt at meat.net
Mon May 15 02:28:47 PDT 2000

On Mon, May 15, 2000 at 09:43:52AM +0200, David Balazic wrote:
> Tony Arcieri wrote :
>
> >    I'm curious if anyone else is at all fed up with the current
> >    state-of-affairs of media support under *IX. As things stand it's rather
> >    a pain to add support for a new codec/framing format to an application,
> >    and it seems like were someone to step up and design a system which
> >    abstracts media support from end-user applications and supports drop-in
> >    modules for framing formats and codecs, it would greatly ease the process
> >    that new formats like ogg and vorbis are going through right now.
>
> What you're talking about are Amiga DataTypes(tm). It's a dream !
> Install a PNG-datatype driver and now all of your apps(*) support
> PNG images !
> It works also with audio files, text files, animations , hypertext
> documents etc ...
>
> (*) - all apps that use the datatypes system
>
> I wonder nothing like this exists on other platforms.
> Maybe someone is working on this, should search web ...

BeOS has it.  Windows attempts to (there's a codec system) but almost
nobody uses it.

> There are sime projects ( libraries ) that do part of this,
> but usually have limited capabilities, like libsndfile ,
> imlib etc.

And I don't know how well those support external binary plugins.
That's a must for systems like this.  Not necessarily because you
want to encourage binary-only distributions (you don't really,
especially if you want this to be cross-platform), but because it
makes new codecs/types easier to add.

> P.S.: I moved the thread in to the vorbis list, as suggested by monty,
>       alltough it _is_ a developer thing ( and not really vorbis related

It's not specifically related to vorbis development.  *shrug*

--
David Terrell   | "To increase the hype, I'm gonna release a bunch
Nebcorp PM      | of BLT variants (NetBLT, FreeBLT, BLT386, etc)