[vorbis] Unix media system

Tony Arcieri tarcieri at gjhsnews.com
Mon May 15 12:00:19 PDT 2000

I hope it isn't too confusing to everyone posting my responses here.
Monty requested this thread of discussion be moved to this list.

On 14 May 2000 15:54:28 Martin Vogt <mvogt at rhrk.uni-kl.de> wrote:
> The anser is "arts". It will become the KDE2.0 soundserver.
> Currently I'm integrating the kmpg patch into arts,
> then all KDE2.0 apps will be vorbis aware (if they are based on
> mpeglib).

This is fine for audio but what about video and handling various framing
formats?  I'm guessing it handles RIFF waveforms but what about RIFF
audio/video interleaves (AVI)?  One thing I think such a system should do
is keep the codecs independent from framing formats, so that as long as
there's an MPEG 4 decoder module available it doesn't matter if it's AVI
or Ogg framed (or framed in any other fashion).

On 15 May 2000 09:43:52 David Balazic <david.balazic at uni-mb.si> wrote:
> What you're talking about are Amiga DataTypes(tm). It's a dream !
> Install a PNG-datatype driver and now all of your apps(*) support
> PNG images !
> It works also with audio files, text files, animations , hypertext
> documents etc ...

Right, this is exactly what I'm talking about (although I didn't consider
it necessary to support image formats as these are already well covered by
libs like imlib/GdkPixbuf.)  One feature that might be nice is a
processing swiss army knife (similar to sox for audio, only implemented in
a library function) which could handle converting sampling rates, sample
widths, channel merging, endianness, linear/logarithmic conversion, etc.
for audio and pixel bit widths (to prepare the image for DirectDraw),
image scaling, etc. for video, and have this handled invisibly and
seamlessly between the end-user application and the processing modules
(that is, the output modules can see what they will be given and accept it
as-is or can ask to have it pre-processed for them, and any subsequent
calls providing them with video frames or an audio stream will give
them exactly what they want.)

I was thinking of implementing a system using successive callbacks between
the modules.  They would be arranged in a sort of change, starting with an
input source (a file or a socket), framing processor, video and audio
codecs, and output.  I don't think anyone has done it quite in this
fashion, and I'd like some input on this idea.

Also, if anyone knows of anyone already working on something like this
please let me know...

Tony Arcieri