[vorbis] Archival quality encoding.

John Morton jwm at plain.co.nz
Tue Jun 27 18:56:35 PDT 2000

I'm looking to encode my meager (200+) CD collection as soon as I get a
nice, big hard drive to store it all. I was considering using LAME with
'-V 1 -h'  to get high quality encodes at about 180-200kbps, but obviously
I'd like to go for a free(libre/lucre) format.

I realize that, in principle, vorbis can encode at ~256kbps, but I'd like
to know just when I can expect it to do that level of encoding quality in
practice - 3 months? 6 months?

Thanks,
John