[vorbis] Vorbis RTP Payload Format

Monty xiphmont at xiph.org
Thu Jun 22 00:17:22 PDT 2000

> Hello;
>
> Has there been any work done on setting up a
> RTP Payload Format for vorbis / ogg  streams ?  I searched through the e-mail archives
> and also the documentation, and could not come up with anything relating to this.

Oop, I better comment before too many people pile on.

The Ogg bitstream format is meant for embedding raw packets into an otherwise
unframed bitstreams (like a file) and thus provides capture, timebase,
ordering, packet boundaries, CRC, etc...

RTP provides just about everything the ogg bitstream does (except timebase).
The RTP payload would mostly or entirely be the raw Vorbis packets that would
normally be framed by Ogg (with RTSP, timebase is still needed, but not for the
same reason it is in Ogg).  Vorbis packets stand alone, so that also simplifies
things (over, say, mp3).  We've intended for a long time to use not only RTP
but RTSP as well.

So, there's a little bit to do to specify RTP, but not very much.  Submitting
such a standard would mostly be work in documenting the ogg packets themselves.

> If this has not been addressed, is anyone interested ? It might be possible to create one in time for IETF-48,
> the cut-off date is July 14.

Hrm, well, that may be alot of documentation to write in 2 1/2 weeks...

Monty