[vorbis] Vorbis RTP Payload Format

Thomas Marshall Eubanks tme at 21rst-century.com
Tue Jun 20 14:21:17 PDT 2000

Adam Scriven wrote:

> At 16:10 2000/06/20 -0400, you wrote:
> >Has there been any work done on setting up a
> >RTP Payload Format for vorbis / ogg  streams ?  I searched through the
> >e-mail archives and also the documentation, and could not come up with
> >anything relating to this.
>
> Ok, Marshall, let me be the first to say:
> Huh?
>
> What is an RTP Payload Format?
> Adam
> Toronto, Ontario, Canada
>
> --- >8 ----

Hello all;

  RTP is the Real-time Transport Protocol (not to be confused with the
Real Time Streaming Protocol), which is the Internet standard transport
protocol for streaming media transport :

RTP   provides end-to-end network transport functions suitable applications transmitting real-time data, such as audio, video or
   simulation data, over multicast or unicast network services.

(from rfc1889). RTP was designed to be a general framework; to actually use it, you
need a payload format, which describes the particulars of that data type.

If you are going to do open source streaming media, you need to have a
RTP payload format description. It should not be too difficult to get this made into an
RFC by the IETF.

                                 Regards
                                 Marshall Eubanks

T.M. Eubanks