[vorbis] Why the 128kbit max?

Kenneth C. Arnold kcarnold at yahoo.com
Sat Jun 17 09:51:59 PDT 2000

On Sat, Jun 17, 2000 at 04:43:06AM -0700, Monty wrote:

> > When would be a good time for me to stat ripping my CD collection with
> > Vorbis.  Is the sound quality pretty much sorted or is there much
> > development needed on that?
>
> The beta on tuesday will include higher-than-128 kbps bitrates.  If you want
> archival quality, check back then.

i.e., change

  /* choose an encoding mode */
  /* (mode 0: 44kHz stereo uncoupled, roughly 128kbps VBR) */
  vi = &info_A;

  /* choose an encoding mode */
  /* (mode 0: 44kHz stereo uncoupled, roughly 128kbps VBR) */
  vi = &info_B;

? Okay, working on the encoder side... Monty, remember to define info_B,C,D,
etc. :)

(and why can't it be info_mode_0, info_mode_1, etc. to correspond with the
encoding mode? And is Vorbis going to be limited to 6 encoding modes?)

Kenneth