[vorbis] putting the video into ogg multimedia

Bob Miller kbob at jogger-egg.com
Tue Jun 13 20:18:27 PDT 2000

Ralph Giles wrote:

> With both vorbis and libmng nearing stable status, I've been thinking
> about combining the two to make a real multimedia format.

I never heard of MNG until just now.  (So color me ignorant.)

I read this on the front page of the MNG web site.  "while [MNG] has
fairly extensive animation and image-manipulation capabilities, there
is no serious expectation that it will ever integrate audio or video."

So, is it a video format, or not?  What I really mean is, does MNG
have a real timebase, or are MNG animations free-running?  A real
timebase is necessary to synch up with audio.

If it doesn't have a timebase, maybe that's the added value of
MNG-over-Ogg.  If it doesn't have a timebase, Ogg-over-MNG could be
problematic.

If it does have a timebase, then nevermind...

Also, is there a MNG mailing list?  I couldn't find one on the
web site.

--
                                        K<bob>
kbob at jogger-egg.com, http://www.jogger-egg.com/