[vorbis] Re: [livid-ovd] putting the video into ogg multimedia

Monty xiphmont at xiph.org
Tue Jun 13 17:09:59 PDT 2000

I'll get to the technical aspects of these letters in a bit; they require an a
little thought and I'm knee deep in the codebook engine right now...

> <RANT>
>
> I personally favor the MNG approach over the Ogg strategy because of the way
> the licensing agreements read.  Ogg is more like "you are free to use this,
> just don't change it without our permission"

Not true, or at least that's not how it's meant.  The intent is "you are free
to use the spec as you wish, but don't create a new, incompatable version and
claim that it's 100% true Ogg.". The license reads only "We reserve the right
to certify compliance".

We only want to prevent counterproductive and proprietary forking that would
damage the Open format (or allow someone to close it).

> In other words, I would be much happier with OggVorbis
> if they had a slightly different license agreement.

Someone has to be in control of the spec, and despite the fact that I've to
date run the Ogg project as a benevolent dictator (or at least that's the
practical effect as I've written most of the code), that does not mean that you
don't have wide latitude with input, or to depose me if the community so
chooses.  I don't have an army; all you need to do is get most of the clue on
your side of the fight... if it ever comes to that :-)

Monty