[vorbis] File Extension .OGG

David Balazic david.balazic at uni-mb.si
Wed Jun 28 06:38:43 PDT 2000

Erik Moeller (moeller at scireview.de) wrote :

[snip]
> Without much further ado, here are some suggestions for alternative
> extensions:
>
> Without numbers:
>         VOX - for Vorbis (V) Oggs (OX) & Latin Vox = Voice
>     MOX - for movies
> These are hardly unique in the search engine respect, but sound good
> and are different for movies and audio. According to www.wotsit.org,
> they are not taken.
>
> With numbers:
>         V0X - note that is a zero between the V and the X
>           this would be increased with each new version of the
>           specs - 1513 hits on AltaVista
>     M0X - same here - 173 hits
>     - - -
>         XS1 - for sound
>     XV1 - for video
>     - - -
>         OV1 - for Ogg Vorbis, Type 1 .. type 2 for video etc.
>
> That's all I can think of right now, but maybe you can brainstorm for
> more.

And to remove even more confusion I recommend to also do the
following changes :

 - rename all uncompressed PCM WAV files to .WAVPCM or .WCM for short.
 - WAV mp3 -> .wm3
 - WAV mp2 -> .wm2
 - WAV ADPCM -> .wam
 - WAV GSM -> .wsm
 - WAV A-law -> .walaw

OR loose any reference to WAV, because it confuses users ( like .mp3,
.mp3 , .adpcm , .gsm , .alaw ... )

I also think that using the .AVI extension to AVI files is confusing.
I recommend using the following , according to actual content :
 - .indeo for Intel/Indeo movies
 - .cnpk for Radius Cinepak compressed animations
 - .rle for RLE encoded anims
 - .msv for Microsoft Video compressed anims

Then for all animations that have sound the following :
 - .indeo-pcm     for Indeo movies with PCM sound
 - .indeo-adpcm   for Indeo movies with ADPCM compressed sound
 - .indeo-gsm     for Indeo movies with GSM compressed sound
 - .indeo-alaw    for Indeo movies with A-law compressed sound
 - .cnpk-pcm      you get the idea
 - and so on for each possible combination

Off course the same most be done with all of the Quicktime
files.
And MPEG.
And IFF.
And TIFF.
( and others that  I don't recall right now )

Don't forget to also create new MIME types for all of them.
Then you can also extend the idea one more step :

.indeo-adpcm-vacation for vacation movies in Indeo format
with GSM sound. Which can be extended to
.indeo-adpcm-vacation-europe and so on for each continent.
This will make a vast improvement for Web searches !
Just imagine : Enter "indeo gsm summer vacation hawaii"
into AltaVista and you get Ideo movies with GSM sound of
hawaiian vacations on summer and nothing else !

Actually we should pick three random bytes from each file on the
HD and append them to the filename ( with a dot in between ,
off course ).

Ok, I'm calm now. Really I am.

David Balazic

P.S.: To summarize : I oppose adding any file name extensions
to OGG files , except for .ogg.