[vorbis] Real-Time Encoding/Streaming?

Thomas Marshall Eubanks tme at 21rst-century.com
Mon Jul 10 10:25:48 PDT 2000

Adam Scriven wrote:

> Hey.
>
> I'm not sure if this should be here or on -dev, so I'll try here first.
>
> I was wondering, would it be possible to have a real-time streaming feed,
> where you were encoding at the same time, given a sufficiently large
> computer to do the encoding?
> I'm thinking about news-wire applications, like if the BBC wanted to use it
> to stream their World News Wire, at the same time that it's crossing the
> world on short-wave, or something like that.
>
> Thanks!
> Adam
> Toronto, Ontario, Canada
>
> --- >8 ----

Dear Adam;

   Define real-time. (What's the latency, Kenneth?)

Lots of radio stations work on 8 second tape delays; cross-US packet delays
are routinely a few hundred milliseconds. Presumably when you mean real-time,
you are talking about something in between these numbers.

A one second delay would probably be possible for a typical LINUX box
and would be adequate for most broadcasters.

--
                                 Regards
                                 Marshall Eubanks

T.M. Eubanks