[vorbis] File Extension .OGG

Anthony DeRobertis asd at suespammers.org
Wed Jul 5 18:06:49 PDT 2000

On Wed, 5 Jul 2000, Doc Holiday wrote:

> > As long as libvorbis does the right thing with audio & video, then there
> > is no reason one extension can't be used.
>
> Ahh... so now we're going to expect programmers to have to write
> vorbis-players that handle video AND audio?

Shouldn't be that hard to tell libvorbis to `play'. Nor do you have to
have both; at first, libvorbis would only have audio. When video support
is added, you've release a new version with video support.

> What about people who don't WANT to deal
> with Video OGG files... or Audio-Only OGG files?  How are they going to be
> able to tell the difference?

Probably by a flag which says `this is video' or `this is audio' or `this
is whatever'

>  This is going to be a very demaning
> specification (from the developer and user standpoint) if we use a universal
> extension.

I'm suggesting we do it simular to how QuickTime does it. I've both
programmed for a used QuickTime, and it's not a problem.

--
Anthony DeRobertis
	Linux: <mailto:asd at suespammers.org>