[vorbis] File Extension .OGG

Matthew matthew at mattshouse.com
Thu Jul 6 16:44:29 PDT 2000

> > No, Monty, the "launcher" and the "slightly added efforts" for search
> > engines are clumsy workarounds for a problem
>
> If the launcher is totally transparent, the average user won't even notice
> there's an issue (the whole point) where the power user now has flexibility
> they didn't have before.  You can use Sonique *or* Quicktime *or* Winamp
> *or* OfficialOgg!  How is this clumsy?

This will not work, simply because the next time that you upgrade or install
(Sonique, Winamp, Whatever) it will remove the launcher as the default.  How
many times have we seen this on Windows?  It's almost comical to click on an
oft used extension (wav, mp3, html) and see what launches.  Then it becomes a
war to keep the launcher as the default for .ogg.

> My argument is that if one opens the extention can of worms, you both start
> colliding with other things (who was it that suggested .vbs for Vorbis only
> files?) but also the problem that Ogg will not exist in a struct audio-only
> video/audio split.  The stream type is much richer than that.  Will things
> be 'Vorbis' and 'everything else'?  What will audio with still frames use
> for an extention?  How is that different from low frame-rate video? What
> about with a single frame of cover art?  Surround audio?

I think that a distinction can logically be made between audio and video.
Does the file have an embedded visual capasity?  No?  Then it's audio.  Yes?
Stills?  Anim? Fine, it's "video" (henceforth called "visual" to avoid
confusion).

Besides the current arguments "for" seperate extensions, I believe that the
human factor is being overlooked.  I, being the naturally lazy fellow that I
am, want to quickly be able to tell the difference between my audio and
visual files.  I say .ogg for audio and .vogg for visual.  Note, I don't say
"video".

I haven't contributed line 1 to the code, and this is my first posting here,
so I'm not an expert by any means.  I'm just an end user that's interested in
the technology.

Matthew