[vorbis] Comment editor?

Kenneth C. Arnold kcarnold at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 29 20:14:44 PDT 2000

On Sun, Jul 30, 2000 at 01:07:00PM +1000, Michael Smith wrote:
> At 04:36 PM 7/29/00 -0400, you wrote:
> >That looks pretty nice to me -- basically pulling out vorbis_comment into
> >the Unix shell domain.
> >
> >Anybody see anything wrong with that? If not, I'll work on it when
> preliminary
> >ogg123 HTTP streaming is done (which will be very soon :).
>
> Nope, looks fine to me - however, since this will generally require running
> the program several times to get the results one wants, I suggest you
> rewrite that code I sent you to check whether it actually needs to
> completely re-write the ogg stream (it usually won't - but sometimes will)
> for speed reasons. If you need help, I can probably do it easily enough.

Idea: how about:

$ vorbis-comment --list file.ogg > comments
$ cat comments
1 KEY1 val1
2 KEY2 val2
3 KEY3 val3
$ (cat comments; echo "4 KEY4 val4") | vorbis-comment replace - file.og
$ vorbis-comment --list file.ogg
1 KEY1 val1
2 KEY2 val2
3 KEY3 val3
4 KEY4 val4

Then the shell script or whatever can do _all_ the grunt work. Better yet, this
is easily parsed and added to / removed (e.g., pipe into sed). Look good?

Kenneth