[vorbis] The OGG Extension...

Erik Moeller moeller at scireview.de
Mon Jul 10 05:31:53 PDT 2000

On 10 Jul 2000, at 3:49, Anthony DeRobertis wrote:

> On Sun, 9 Jul 2000, Frank Krieger wrote:
>
> > I have to agree. Face it or not, desktop is Windows. Windows will
> > need two extensions.
> >
> > .ogg for audio - It's already here
> > .vgg for video - Or whatever moves you.

> And prey tell, why does QuickTime work so well with one extension?

QuickTime sucks. I have installed it once and it messed up my file
associations and nagged me to register it even when displaying GIFs
and JPGs. I've never used it again since then. The fact that MOV is
used for video and audio is QuickTime's smallest problem. I've hardly
ever seen it used for non-commercial purposes.

But since OGG rules except for the extension, the extension would be
among its biggest drawbacks. Only if and when the video codec is
actually released, that is.

Note: I have no problem using the Ogg-Vorbis extension for Ogg-
Squish. But I do have problems using it for Ogg-Video, because it's a
different media type.

--
Scientific Reviewer, Freelancer, Humanist -- Berlin/Germany
Phone: +49-30-45491008 - Web: <http://www.humanist.de/erik>