[vorbis] xml stream formats

Michael Smith msmith at labyrinth.net.au
Thu Jul 6 02:15:27 PDT 2000

>Hrm, then would we be streaming Complete XML 'pages' (not to be confused
with
>Ogg pages) as seperate, self-sufficient entities?
>
>Metadata does have to stream.

Let me say this again: You CANNOT, in general, stream XML.

There are two ways in which you can do it: either make the DTD you're using
VERY limited, and then do some really ugly horrid hacky stuff at the start
and end, or do something that ISN'T quite XML, though it might be close.

The second solution is definately unacceptable. The first will work, but it
also means that you have all the complexity of XML with none of the
advantages.

People, please think about this really hard before deciding that XML (or
anything XML based) is the way to go. It's a neat technology, but it's NOT
suited to everything. I rather think that this is one of the cases where it
isn't suitable.

Michael