[vorbis] xml stream formats

Monty xiphmont at xiph.org
Wed Jul 5 14:21:06 PDT 2000

>      >We also talked about streaming issues a bit. Jack explained that
>      >is going to (does?) insert the three pages of the vorbis header when a new
>      >client connects in the middle of a song.

Make that 'packets' and it's correct (pages are something else.  To add to the
confusion, the first packet is also the first page, but that's not true later).

> I just checked out RDF (Resource Description Framework) which intends to
> describe resources available on the net. I could see us using RDF as the
> format inside the metadata stream, instead of using a full blown XML
> DTD. I haven't used RDF -- Jack, is looks like you've used it. Do you
> have any feedback on using RDF?
>
> In any case, using a complete RDF chunk to describe the time-coded
> information seems like a great amount of overhead. Both XML and RDF seem
> like inappropriate tools for use with time-coded information that is
> in-line with the stream. However, XML and RDF are the best tools that I
> can think of for maintaining the non-time-coded-metadata information.

Hrm, then would we be streaming Complete XML 'pages' (not to be confused with
Ogg pages) as seperate, self-sufficient entities?

Metadata does have to stream.

Monty