[vorbis] File Extension .OGG

Doc Holiday doc at hwebtech.com
Wed Jul 5 14:33:28 PDT 2000

> As long as libvorbis does the right thing with audio & video, then there
> is no reason one extension can't be used.

Ahh... so now we're going to expect programmers to have to write
vorbis-players that handle video AND audio?  Seems to me that we'd be ruling
out a pretty good segment of the programming population whose expertise is in
either video or audio, but not both. What about people who don't WANT to deal
with Video OGG files... or Audio-Only OGG files?  How are they going to be
able to tell the difference?  This is going to be a very demaning
specification (from the developer and user standpoint) if we use a universal
extension.  I don't think we should be in favor of any solution takes the
form of "If ____ happens, then the user can just ___"  As in "If WinAMP opens
to play a video file, then the user can just open the file manually instead
of double clicking on it." It's simply not good for usability.

~doc