[vorbis] MOre streaming media to ponder

Marshall Eubanks tme at 21rst-century.com
Tue Dec 26 06:52:48 PST 2000

Darren Meyer wrote:

> On Sat, Dec 16, 2000 at 12:58:39AM +1100, Geoff Shang wrote:
> > For the full story:
> > http://www.infoworld.com/articles/hn/xml/00/12/12/001212hnisma.xml?1212tupm
>
> Interesting, but somehow I don't see this as a threat to OGG/Vorbis.
>
> Vorbis has a lot more potential use than just streaming.  Even -if- this
> standards organization creates widely-accepted streaming media standards
> that exclude Vorbis, there are plenty of other reasons to continue Vorbis
> development.  The Vorbis encoding system has, IMHO, the best potential of
> becoming a near-transparent audio encoder -- the quality, even in Beta2, was
> superior in many ways to MP3.  Granted, there are artifact issues to work
> out, but each beta update relieves many, many of them.
>
> That aside, I think it would be interesting for Xiph to look into becoming a
> member/being an advisor to this new group.  Having input to standards based
> on experience with Vorbis would benefit everyone.
>
> All in all, any open standards group is a good thing.
>
> Cheers,
> Darren

Sorry for responding late, been going through old mail...

I talked to Dave Singer at Apple about ISMA -

http://www.ism-alliance.org/

Anyone can join - BUT they are really oriented around MPEG-4. As the web page
says

The first specification from the ISMA will define an
             implementation agreement for streaming MPEG-4 video and
audio over IP networks.

Note that the ISMA is open (for now), but that the code is NOT, AND that
there is
a membership fee of $20 K.

Singer says that the goals of the ISMA are wider, however. It might in
principle  be a good idea to take them up on it, and see if you can get
any traction there.
I suspect, however, that it would not be a good use for the $20K ...

                                   Regards
                                   Marshall Eubanks

   Multicast Technologies, Inc.
   10301 Democracy Lane, Suite 201
   Fairfax, Virginia 22030
   Phone : 703-293-9624          Fax     : 703-293-9609
   e-mail : tme at on-the-i.com     http://www.on-the-i.com