[vorbis] 16kbps ogg encoder when?

Michael Smith msmith at labyrinth.net.au
Thu Dec 21 23:27:30 PST 2000

At 05:50 PM 12/21/00 -0600, you wrote:
>Hello,
>
>Does anyone know when the low-bitrate modes (e.g. 16kbps) might be
supported?  I
>was hoping they'd be in Beta 3.  The reason I ask is that I will have to shut
>off mp3 http streaming from my site within the week and it would be nice if I
>could tell my customers when it would be on again (in Vorbis format).
>
>I don't mean to sound impatient or ungrateful.  I appreciate all the
voluntary
>work and I think the developers deserve a holiday break.  Just curious about
>where it stands.

This depends...

You can produce output at this sort of bitrate with an unmodified encoder,
as-is. However, the quality won't be anywhere near as good as it could be
(it may be 'good enough', though - try it out).

Just downsample the input file (use something like sox, or whatever tool
you have), and change it to mono - I think 16 kbps should be reachable with
a low sampling rate.

As far as good quality low bitrate goes - beta4 should have a lot of stuff
towards that, but I don't think tuning for bitrates that low will be done
by then. I may be wrong, though.

Michael