[vorbis] Copy protected CDs (off-topic)

Gregory Maxwell greg at linuxpower.cx
Wed Dec 20 17:10:07 PST 2000

On Wed, Dec 20, 2000 at 05:00:19PM -0800, Dan Hollis wrote:
> On Wed, 20 Dec 2000, Gregory Maxwell wrote:
> > You can clearly measure the jitter of a D/A by using a set of signals like I
> > described in a prior email.
>
> Can you make a web page with some measurements?

Next time I have the equipment around, I'll do that. Though I don't know
when I'll be doing a project again that will require a reference time source.

This really isn't black magic... Unfortunately, many companies are
capitalizing on the lack of understanding to make a lot of money with
non-solutions.

A/D and D/A converters should have high accuracy internal clocks and not allow
their input to shape the timing of their output. Today, most don't and thus
their output is subtly (but measurably) changed between different but
digitally identical input mediums. It's really that simple, no
special lambda-impedance-matched fiber optics required. :)