[vorbis] [a bit off-topic] oggenc crashes my K6-200 box

Erik Kruus kruus at on2.com
Wed Dec 20 05:23:39 PST 2000

I have noticed some occasional problems which I haven't delved into, on
PIII-600 and smp celeron-466 boxes, both repeatable any number of times:

i)
in one of the training modes, one audio clip always bombed.  I weaseled
around this by opening the files once, and keeping the filehandle in the
array of static stuff the _init (name?) function set up, and opened.  In
the process, I also stuck all alloca's into ifdefed malloc and or static
workspace via the _init function, but this seemed not to be the problem.
This was in floor0.c.  Later, it occurs to me now, I may have inadvertently
fixed the problem by fixing a missing ++seq line near the end of floor0_forward,
but I haven't verified.

ii)
last friday, one of the test clips repeatably segfaulted at the end of
playback via ogg123.  Haven't investigated, but all other tracks I've
encoded play back fine.

Note: I've not experienced an oggenc crash in normal encoding
mode, as you have.

CD Comment: I've switched to doing all ripping of CD's for vq training
data on my "slow" dual-celeron box, I've found it far superior for any remotely
realtime tasks.