[vorbis] Here is a link to what they say about "Other Formats"

Gabriel Bouvigne bouvigne at mp3-tech.org
Tue Dec 12 12:05:14 PST 2000

> Is Atrac3 specifically a sony format? and isn't it
> based on musicam? which I thought pre-dated MPEG?!

No. Layer II is based on musicam, not Atrac3

> Or perhaps Fraunhauser have had these patents for
> sometime before MPEG? I didn't know Frauhauser were
> part of Thompson, that surely makes things really
> wierd because Thompson is a huge consumer electronics

Fhg is not a part of Thomson (known as RCA in the US). They just joined
their patents covering mp3 to make a big portfolio, that's all.

> other similar technologies? And do Thompson *really*
> not make any minidisk players!???

Thomson doesn't have to mke minidiscs player to have some of their patents
used in Atrac3.

Regards,

--

Gabriel Bouvigne - France