[vorbis] Re: OT: Downloading .DLLs (WinAmp Plugin with HTTP Streaming Support)

Moritz Grimm maxx at kolabore.de
Fri Dec 15 21:35:00 PST 2000

Hi!

Netscape doesn't know what to do with DLL files ... so it just tries to
do with it what the server tells it to do. Since many web servers in the
net are insufficiently configured, it might be useful to solve that
problem on the client side.

Since you're using Windows, the easiest way to avoid this problem is to
install one of these handy download managers, which download all their
files in binary mode by default. Personally, I prefer Getright from
www.getright.com - it's free (as long as you don't mind the ads that are
shown in the managers main window) and fully working. Just add the file
extension ".dll" to the file types Getright should monitor, restart your
browsers and you're all set.

In Netscape, you can add your own/new and unknown filetypes under
Edit/Preferences/Navigator/Applications. This could also be a solution,
however, I don't know exactly what to write in there to make it work.
Anyways, try a download manager, they also have the advantage of
resuming broken downloads (as long as the server side supports this).

Bye,
        Moritz