[vorbis] AIX + ogg123

Kenneth C. Arnold kcarnold at arnoldnet.net
Fri Dec 15 20:35:10 PST 2000

According to Michael Smith (sometime around Sat, Dec 16, 2000 at 11:32:25AM +1100):
> At 12:40 PM 12/15/00 -0600, you wrote:
> >Has anyone managed to get ogg123 to compile in AIX?  I'm got an RS6k with a
> >PPC 604e, running AIX 4.3.3.  I can get libogg, libvorbis, libao, oggenc
> >(so, everything _but_ ogg123) to compile just fine.  I'm using gcc,
> >thankfully, and not the native IBM compilers.  I believe the problem to be
> >with the linker.  By default gcc for AIX doesn't use the GNU linker, but
> >the standard AIX linker.  I'm using the beta 3 source tar-ball. I've tried
> >the CVS source as well, but had no luck.  Here are some errors:
>
> Copying across getopt.c, getopt1.c, and getopt.h (and adding them to the
> makefiles/etc.) should be sufficient (but make sure you get all 3 files).
>
> This hasn't been done yet primarily because ogg123 isn't very portable
> anyway, so nobody has bothered.

The primary nonportability in ogg123 is the dependancy on audio
output, actually -- and the HTTP streaming is also a bit of a mess to
do cross-platform (though I just got the insight to look at the SDL
libs to do that; anybody object? actually, while we're at it, why not
SDL as an audio output plugin?) The getopt issue needs to be resolved
in CVS (actually oggenc and ogg123 could use a common getopt, since
they're hanging out together at the moment anyway). See below.

> NAME_MAX should in fact be FILENAME_MAX (I thought these got changed. Maybe
> that was only in libao) - FILENAME_MAX is a standard thing from ANSI C.
>
> At that point, your problem looks like linking. I'm afraid you'll probably
> have to figure that one out for yourself.

Probably not me (the original author who really, really, really badly
needs to go in and fix some stuff I broke eons ago and haven't had the
time to properly address, if address at all), but if somebody could
get a shell account on your unique system (we speak ssh here in
general), somebody could probably look at the linking issues. Although
I will say that nosing around in an AIX system _would_ be rather fun
:)

--
Kenneth Arnold <ken at arnoldnet.net> / kcarnold / Linux user #180115
http://arnoldnet.net/~kcarnold/

<HR NOSHADE>
<UL>
<LI>application/pgp-signature attachment: stored
</UL>