[vorbis] new MS codecs

Chun-Yu cshei at indiana.edu
Thu Dec 14 19:29:08 PST 2000

Dows WMA really create a hissing noise in the background?  I've got many CDs
encoded in WMA format, and I've never noticed this problem before, even
before WMA version 7 and above.  WMA at 160 kbps and above generally sounds
very close to the original CD.  Right now, I'm probably going to re-encode
all of my music in MP+ format, and later re-encode them in OGG Vorbis (when
the sound quality gets even better).  MP+ is the highest quality format for
lossy audio compression I've found so far.  The only major problem I've
found with MP+ was the lousy M/S encoding in older versions.  I pointed it
out to the author, and the new version seems to have much better M/S
encoding.  OGG Vorbis is also very good, but for certain kinds of music,
it's not (such as classical - I encoded some Christmas songs, and I found
the French Horn sounds to be terrible sounding).

Also - the main reason I like WMA is that it has the fastest encoding speed
I've ever seen from a lossy audio compression format.  Most songs take less
than 1 minute to encode on my 333 MHz Celeron (I've got a 700 MHz Duron now,
but no motherboard yet).

Chun-Yu