[vorbis] new MS codecs

Steven Bailey snbailey at uiuc.edu
Thu Dec 14 19:21:34 PST 2000

I'll agree with you that MP3's do not sound good at 128.  They've got
swishy artifacts that are apparent on almost any song with percussive
instruments.  But WMA's...  Maybe they've made an improvement in their
latest release, but all the WMA's I've ever encoded at any bitrate sound
like they've got tape-hiss in the background!  That background static is
something I've never been able to get rid of.  I've never noticed it in
any other format.  Tape-hiss is kind of what got me interested in
compressed audio on computers in the first place years back, so hearing
something so similar was a bit of a turnoff.

I'm surprised to hear from anyone else who likes VQF's.  I don't use
them exclusively anymore because hard-drive space is no longer at a
premium, but I haven't re-encoded my library yet.  I've been expecting
.ogg to be the eventual replacement, especially once wavelets get
incorporated into the code.

Steven