[vorbis] Here is a link to what they say about "Other Formats"

Dan Hollis goemon at anime.net
Tue Dec 12 13:05:10 PST 2000

On Tue, 12 Dec 2000, MCM wrote:
> >  > I haven't heard about this at all. In fact, last I heard, they specifically
> >>  were _not_ getting patents.
> >>  If they do, I know a lot of people that will be stopping advocacy of Vorbis.
> >Why?
> Because if Vorbis used patents to protect their work, they'd be doing
> the same bad things that the format is supposed to replace.  A patent
> is a dangerous thing, because Bad People can come and acquire it and
> use it for the forces of Evil.  It's best not to support something
> that has the potential to be dangerous later, I suppose.

There are many kinds of patents... not just ones for commercial purposes.

For instance, there is a kind of patent which doesn't prevent people from
using it, only prevents corporations from trying to exert monopolistic
control over the technology. It's a sort of open-source patent which
protects those people who use the technology from litigation by bad
people.

-Dan