[vorbis] Here is a link to what they say about "Other Formats"

Steven Bailey snbailey at uiuc.edu
Tue Dec 12 11:49:03 PST 2000

Aleksandar Dovnikovic wrote:

> MP+ only supports 44.1kHz stereo, no streaming, seeking is a bit
> rudimentary (it will actually fastforward to the desired position),
> low/lower bitrates are not supported (or sound very bad), uses
> limited ID3 tags. But the sound quality is (so far) the best out there.
> "Standard" profile gives ~160-170kbps for most music and it sounds
> transparent.

Ah.  I begin to understand.  My interest in compressed audio has only to
do with the (relatively) high bitrate variety.  I've taken an interest
in twinVQ in the past because, although it is far from transparent, a
lot of the artifacts don't sound as unnatural to me as other formats
like mp3 and AAC do.  I also have very poor aural spatial perception, so
I can't hear when stereo seperation is lousy.  So, vqf is the one
exception to the high-bitrate rule for me.  If you are interested in
higher compression for streaming, I can easily see why you wouldn't care
for MP+ too much.  That isn't at all what it was designed for, and I
can't see it ever getting good enough at low bitrates that anyone would
bother trying to stream it, either.  I think your info on the "limited
ID3 tags" may be a bit outdated, though.  I guess that depends on what
part of the tag you are referring to.  MP+, as of a couple months ago,
had all the tag functionality that I ever bother using.

> TwinVQ is a part of MPEG-4 AAC, and it is used for lower bitrates,
> check out:
> www.cselt.it/leonardo/icjfiles/mpeg-4_si/9-natural_audio_paper/index.html
> There you will find all MPEG-4 AAC tools listed and explained.

I stand corrected.  Thanks for the info!  Still, is that part of the
format under dispute?  From what little I have heard, I thought it had
more to do with channel seperation techniques.

Steven