[vorbis] Here is a link to what they say about "Other Formats"

Aleksandar Dovnikovic aldov at eunet.yu
Tue Dec 12 02:47:44 PST 2000

"Steven Bailey" <snbailey at uiuc.edu> wrote:

> > > They list:
> > >                Atrac 3,  (E)Pac,   AAC
>
> Hmm.  Maybe this isn't the full list, but I can't help but note that
> there are a LOT of formats that are not listed here.  TwinVQ, for one.
> I know tons of people who have used that format at one time or another.

Yes, but TwinVQ is a part of AAC, so it looks like it is covered?

> I also note that WMA isn't listed.  (That could just be because WMA
> doesn't have enough quality to make it worth prosecuting.)  (grin)

That, or they don't have the guts to sue someone as big as Microsoft. :-))

> And lots of others.  MP+... well, nevermind.  There already is some
> royalties being exchanged there.  I forgot.

Some. But, for instance, it is using joint-stereo which is on the patent
list at mp3licensing.com, so they could sue MP+, but this format is
rather limited, so they probably don't see it as a threat.

Greetings,
Aleksandar