[vorbis] problems with the winamp plugin

Michael Smith msmith at labyrinth.net.au
Fri Dec 8 17:21:31 PST 2000

At 06:16 PM 12/8/00 -0600, you wrote:
>I'm a bit new here, but I've looked through the list and haven't seen
>anyone talking about my problem.  I apologize if this has already been
>dealt with.
>
>I have copied the winamp plugin to the appropriate directory (simple
>enough, yes?) and Winamp is not recognizing that it is even there.  That
>is the new beta3 decoder.  The old beta2 decoder plugin isn't giving me
>any trouble, and it is playing back the beta3 ogg files without any
>hitches I am aware of.

It works for me, and others. Perhaps you have a version of winamp which is
too old (or new). Mine is 2.5c, so it definately works on THAT version (I
just downloaded the plugin from the website to replace my local version for
testing).

>Does anyone have any idea what's going on?  And also, what changes were
>made to the plugin besides reducing its size by almost 50%?

The big one is that it was sped up by a factor of 4 or more. That's a
pretty compelling reason to upgrade. It may also have some rudimentary http
streaming ability (I'm not sure whether that was in beta2 or not. It may
not work correctly).