[vorbis] My Vorbis beta 2 impressions

Monty xiphmont at xiph.org
Wed Aug 23 03:21:24 PDT 2000

> > Great. The click between the tracks is pretty small, so this
> > fix should get it right.
>
> Monty, I hope you can update the download binaries with this fix.  It is a
> fairly serious problem and can't really wait for the next beta.

OK, I've added pre- and post- onset extrapolation to the CVS libs so that the
sudden signal onset or ending doesn't pollute the rest of the frame with edge
noise. It does improve the edge behavior between 'seamless' tracks, although
the possibility of a small click is still there; sorry, a crossfade is the only
way to be absolutely certain a lossy compression will match up the edges when
it has no way of knowing two seperately encoded samples are related :-)

That caveat aside, the extrapolation works exactly as I'd intended and any
click should be miniscule/inaudible (and is in the few sample tests I tried).

I'll ask Jack/Chad about binaries updates as they did the last batch.
Monty