[vorbis] New beta bug reports/bug report

Monty xiphmont at xiph.org
Tue Aug 22 14:18:55 PDT 2000

> 2) My bug for the new beta.  (I'm hoping someone of
> the PTB is reading ... I definitely don't belong on
> the developers' list.)  I tried this with a couple
> wavs and the Windows oggenc binary from
> www.vorbis.com.  I'm running NT 4 SP6.
>
> On both Ogg Vorbis files, playback on WinAmp ends with
> a loud pop, at all quality settings I checked.  When
> encoded with the old beta binary (ogglame), there is
> no such pop, so I think it's a new introduction.  It
> doesn't matter which version of the WinAmp plugin I
> use.

Many rippers/WAV manipulation programs stick a 'junk' chunk at the end of the
WAV with a little advertisement for themselves.  This is not part of the audio
and if another program reading that WAV file doesn't expect the crap at the
end, it's processed as audio as a loud pop.

Mike, this will be something else you'll need to add to OggEnc's WAV
handling...

Monty